Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Jade Frog part 3

The tires on my Fairlane squealed against the pavement as I pulled up to the Beverly Hills home of Arthur Dowels. Looks like the gentleman wasn’t doing too bad for himself. Not the greatest mansion I had ever seen in this part of town, but I nicer place than I would generally see the inside of. Even from a distance I could see the BULS units surrounding the place and the electronics in the car detected the jamming equipment the police used to keep information from leaving high profile crime scenes. I quickly tapped by comm unit. “LA’s finest have the place locked down tight, I am going to see what I can find out. I’ll be out of touch until I clear the jammers. Keep working things on your end.”

Sarah’s voice crackled back.“I am listening to all public data streams detective. Although I should warn you funds are a little short to pay bail at the moment. Do try not to get arrested.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” I parked the car and headed to the front door on foot. There were almost immediately a pair of BULS blocking my way to the front door.

“This is an active crime scene unauthorized access is forbidden. Please move along.” The units cold eyes were staring at me almost daring me to try to force their blockade. Trying a fistfight with a couple bits of tin that could punch their way through most walls was not my idea of a good night however.

“Detective Sam Sloan badge number 8775. This is the home of my client Arthur Dowles who I need to speak to.” The interpretation software of BULS was not terribly refined. You were best to speak very simply and try not to confuse them.

“Verifying……” The red eyes blinked as they were communicating with whoever was in charge of this mess. “Lieutenant Anton Bruno has granted you access. Go straight in the front door and do not interfere with the crime scene.”

I took my time walking to the door of the white home that almost qualified as a mansion while keeping an eye out for for any hint of what had transpired here tonight. I made it about halfway before the officer in question flung the door open. “Sam Sloan, why am I not surprised.” Anton Bruno was about six feet of angry Italian with a badge and way too expensive suit for a cop. He had never particularly liked me after I walked all over a couple of his cases a few years back. “Get in here.” The Lieutenant always had that special talent of talking to you in a way that made you wish you had stayed home that week. Rumor has it more than a few criminals outright confessed when he started yelling. “I don’t suppose you care to tell me why you were working for Arthur Dowles?”

“You know I don’t discuss my cases Lieutenant, and nice to see you too.” I strode into the house slipping by Bruno and stopped short at the sight of the body of Arthur Dowles laying on the floor with what appeared to be three bullet holes.

“Then I suppose you also have no idea why your client ended up on the wrong end of several bullets.” I didn’t bother to respond as I had a pretty good idea what was coming next. “Units 146 and 147, book Mr. Sloan here as a material witness and run him down to the station. If he resists club him over the head a few times, arrest him , then book him as a material witness.”

The BULS are notoriously literal minded so I decided to go quietly. It was another hour before Bruno showed up much calmer then he had been at the house. “Now would you like to fully explain your relationship with Arthur Dowels, or shall I just arrest you for obstructing my investigation now?”

I took a minute to think it over just to annoy him then told him the about Arthur hiring me to find his Jade Frog. Then told him five more times. Cops of any brand like to wear you down by repetition to see if you can keep your story straight. It took two more hours to convince him I was at least probably telling the truth. Which is fair as I left out my visit to Mister Orange. If I led the law to his door he would never speak to me again. Eventually the law relented and let me back into the world.

By the time I got out of the police station the Fairlane was waiting out front for me. I am forced to admit auto driving cars do have some uses. The communicator flared to life as I entered the car. “I assume you have in fact not been arrested this time detective? I have also found out our client has been killed, although I suspect you knew that already.”

“Yeah the police filled me in. I took a few pictures of the scene while Bruno was busy yelling at me. Uploading to the database now.” A mechanical eye does have it uses after all. “I doubt it matters as our client becoming dead leaves us out in the cold.”

“Perhaps not detective a Clarise Dowles has contacted you about continuing the case while you were in police custody.”

“That was quick.” I found half a cigar left in the car an lit it up as I thought this new development through. “Her mourning period may have set a new record.”

“I agree detective, however voice analysis suggests she is on the level. Mrs. Dowles requested to see you tomorrow morning.”

There was a spray of ash as I tossed my cigar to the curb. “Make it late tomorrow morning, I would like to observe this woman a bit first. Do we have a way into the Century Club.”

“Checking… One of the performers tonight is a Miss Cherry Azure that I believe you are acquainted with.”

There was a blast from the past. “It’ll do, send a message to her in my name and have my suit ready when I get home. Looks like I am going out tonight.”


“It will be taken care of detective, stay in touch.”

No comments:

Post a Comment